

St. Norbert College

# Student Government Association



General Assembly Meeting  
December 6th, 2021  
9:00pm, Mulva Library Room 218

## Call to Order by Executive Board (9:00)

Land Acknowledgement Statement (Oliver Dressel)  
Attendance (Porter Beilfuss)

## New business (9:05)

End of Semester Wrap-Up (Molly Freye)  
Scheduling for Spring 2022

Freye: We can reevaluate this if there is a general consensus, but we plan to keep the meeting time at 9:00pm on Monday nights. If there are any scheduling conflicts, please reach out to us and let us know of your conflict. We will be sending out Google calendar invites for everyone so it is on our calendars right now. But plan on the meeting time being at 9:00pm in Room 218 of the Mulva Library.

### Communication

Freye: We had 50-60 people at the winter dance on Saturday night. Many people stated they enjoyed the event and had a good time. I am not upset if you cannot make the event, especially since this event was not planned far in advance. But, if you cannot make it, please communicate that with us. Only half of the general assembly filled out the form. We wanted to know what your plans were. We voted on this event and it passed within the general assembly, so I was discouraged to see the lack of communication. I understand if you had a reason such as a trip home, a previous engagement, but just let us know! I want to make sure we are all on the same page. Communication is very important, going into next semester.

### Stipends (Helen Bui)

Bui: For the stipends, I contacted John Seckel today and they will be sent out soon. It will be a direct deposit or sent to your home address. I reached out to him and asked which one it will be, but it has to do with financial aid. If they have a direct deposit then it will possibly be put into that account. You will receive an email prior if it is a direct deposit. It will be this week or at the latest next week during finals. Check your mailbox when you get home possibly. You will receive a stipend for this semester of your work.

## Committee & Task Force Updates (9:15)

Freye: What things went well, what can we improve on next semester? I want to recognize our accomplishments but also bring up things that we wish to change.

Dressel: I really like the Google doc that we had for committees, a running document for what we are working on.

Beilfuss: I believe our attendance was very good this semester.

In the spirit of the Norbertine value of *stabilitas loci*, a deep commitment to the local community, we acknowledge this land as the ancestral home of the Menominee nation, which holds historical, cultural, and sacred significance to the community. We acknowledge the living history and contributions of the indigenous communities that inhabited this land prior to the establishment of St. Norbert College, as well as the sovereign Native American Nations who continue to contribute to the flourishing of our communities.

B. Tully: I think the staff and faculty breakfast went over very well. I heard from one of my professors that they enjoyed the event.

Freye: I heard the same from Fr. Nielsen, and Thersesa Refsgard stated at the breakfast that she had been here for 13 years and had never seen an event like this for the staff and faculty.

Dressel: I am proud that we held a State of the College address.

Faudoa: I want to make a suggestion that we schedule a bonding event for next semester. An event possibly outdoors so we can see each other's faces and get to know each other a little better. An event where we are not just sitting behind laptops but can see each other's faces and just have a conversation.

Gonnering: I think it does not need to be structured, a little variety would help. I also think we need to bring more attention to the Student Opinion Survey next go-around. We had limited meetings and I'm not sure if we ended up completing their request or not.

Freye: I have not heard from them either.

Gonnering: I had heard that we breached their contract.

Freye: I will reach out to the chair of the committee, I will check into it.

Dressel: We survived another round of COVID-semester. Good job everyone.

Freye: I had some people come up to me today and ask about parking. What has occurred in the meeting?

Gonnering: We have not met yet.

Dutton: I saw an email that stated that students could reserve a parking space for next semester. Isn't it already at capacity?

Freye: I feel that they need to cut it off. There is a large class of transfer students coming in.

Dressel: There are a lot of international students, and students coming back from studying abroad.

Hess: We are still looking for students to join the Land Acknowledgement Statement task force, especially younger class representatives.

## Old business (9:15)

Winter Wonderland Student Dance (Molly Freye)

Thoughts, feedback, opportunities for improvement

Freye: About 50-60 students showed up, many students were appreciative that we held such a formal dance. What feedback do you guys have for this event? Do we want to do this going forward?

Hess: I think the first time you do something like this there will be lesser attendance. And the fact that it was shorter notice limited people too. I think if we had a larger venue next time as well it would help.

Freye: It was nice and it worked, but maybe not have it in a gym next time.

Dressel: I think selling tickets might increase attendance. Gives people a reason to follow through and attend.

Gruszynski: I heard that some people did not hear about it. Maybe give a more advance notice next time.

A. Tully: If we keep doing it every year it may build the amount of people that attend.

Freye: Way back when SGA used to hold a yearly formal dance.

Hess: Possibly have it earlier in the school year, not at the end of the semester.

Beilfuss: It would be beneficial to maybe have it around the same time as the past "Heritage Ball" the college would hold early in October. Used to be a big hit of a formal dance on campus, possibly have it at around the same time and have it be sponsored by SGA.

Lim: Maybe have raffle items to encourage attendance.

Gruszynski: Check sports schedules to try to find a better date

Freye: I liked the photo booth and thought that it was a hit.

In the spirit of the Norbertine value of *stabilitas loci*, a deep commitment to the local community, we acknowledge this land as the ancestral home of the Menominee nation, which holds historical, cultural, and sacred significance to the community. We acknowledge the living history and contributions of the indigenous communities that inhabited this land prior to the establishment of St. Norbert College, as well as the sovereign Native American Nations who continue to contribute to the flourishing of our communities.

Dressel: I thought it was nice to give people the opportunity to attend a formal if they are not in fraternities or sororities.

End of Semester “Trash-to-Treasure” Initiative (Oliver Dressel)

REH partnership, student promotion and advertising

Dressel: It is live and we have almost 300 people on the Facebook page. Great job spreading the word on the initiative. Keep your eyes peeled on some cool finds! Have you all found the signs that have been posted around campus? There is a QR code to the page on those posters.

Leadership Conference **Feb 5th, 9-noonish** (Molly Freye)

Mark on calendars, student promotion and advertising

Link to register: <https://www.snc.edu/tickets/?eid=64094>

register for free using the code SGALEADERSHIP.

Freye: Highly encourage your attendance to be at the event. Lots of organizations and employment offices on campus like to see if students attend such an event. The second weekend we are back on campus. If you have any issues switch the link just let me know.

Defining your path - a lot of different topics centered around that. It is on Saturday, the second weekend back on campus.

SAFAC Surplus Fund - SGA Project (Molly Freye & Helen Bui)

Possible ideas, example of “maintenance-less” investments

Freye: We had a lot of conversation about this at our Eboard meeting. We revisited a lot of ideas that were suggested in the GA. Why not put in some better crosswalk signs on Third Street to avoid having students possibly getting hit? And consider some other areas on campus that could use the safe crosswalk signs. With lights on both sides. We also considered pool tables on campus. The only risk factor is that you are going to need a place with higher ceilings. It costs like \$20K to fix ceilings (Mad-Lor basement) since it tends to occur. We thought about placing the tables in the campus center. I don't know how many of you have heard about the PAC, or rumors about it. But in the basement of it used to be a cafe called the Knight Owl. It was a cute little coffee shop, a bigger spot on campus for Spanish events and poetry readings. In the basement there is a little bar area, a ton of seating. A lot of space away from the campus safety and parking offices. What if we bought some furniture, put a flat screen TV and pool tables, and encouraged people to use it. Have RAs be required to host an event or two in the space. A bunch of the gaming clubs on campus might like a bigger TV for playing video games or movie nights for clubs/organizations. Comfy couches where people could reserve the space. It would be similar to the Safe Space in the alumni house, where we want to create a detailed budget with our requests within our budget. Here is how we will revamp the space. If all else fails, the furniture can be used elsewhere on campus, the TV could be moved, the pool tables, etc. The last thing we discussed was just the LSE office software, which could be a lot more expensive than we thought. We have to look and check with the LSE office on those numbers.

Makope: What is the LSE's request again?

Freye: Normally there is a roster form sent out at the beginning of the year, we have to take attendance manually, we have to submit events manually. It would be a “Moodle” type database in which all things student life is available in one place. Good for the student affairs office as well. Lots of good features with it - no more roster forms, the administrator would have access to everything. A much better way to compile the Google forms and documents into one place. RAs would have access to the database. A much better version of Raftr and more usable.

Gonnering: Isn't the software something that is already in play?

In the spirit of the Norbertine value of *stabilitas loci*, a deep commitment to the local community, we acknowledge this land as the ancestral home of the Menominee nation, which holds historical, cultural, and sacred significance to the community. We acknowledge the living history and contributions of the indigenous communities that inhabited this land prior to the establishment of St. Norbert College, as well as the sovereign Native American Nations who continue to contribute to the flourishing of our communities.

Freye: No, they are seeking funding from other places right now and going through contracts. Working on it this semester, and changes in the LSE office have delayed it.

Gonnering: Are they working with marketing and communication offices?

Freye: Yes, I heard they are looking for a new software too, might be the same one.

Gonnering: I think the one they are looking at is Campus Groups.

Freye: Might be the same software, I'm not sure.

Corday: John Seckel stated a space in the campus center is ready to go, and could be set up by the time students get back from winter break.

Hess: I motion to vote on the matter.

Makope: I second.

Dutton: buying these pool tables, does it solidify their location in the campus center?

Dressel: I don't see any reason why they couldn't be moved?

Hess: I also think it is a good idea to have them in both.

Dressel: All those in favor please raise your hand. None opposed. New pool tables will be purchased for use in the campus center 2nd floor multi-purpose room.

Dressel: Shall we vote on the matter of the crosswalk signs?

Freye: The price is a little bit more up in the air. Especially if it is a brand new sign with the pole and lighted sign.

Makope: Would it just be the Third Street signs right now?

Allen: And right now one of the buttons does not work on the sign.

Hess: I motion to vote on buying two new signs on Third Street, and to upgrade the existing lights on the sign.

Allen: I second.

Dressel: All those in favor please raise your hand.

17 approved, 5 opposed

Motion passes with majority, we will submit a proposal to have flashing signs on the street as well.

B. Tully: I move to adjourn.

Hess: I second.

## Adjournment (9:40)

In the spirit of the Norbertine value of *stabilitas loci*, a deep commitment to the local community, we acknowledge this land as the ancestral home of the Menominee nation, which holds historical, cultural, and sacred significance to the community. We acknowledge the living history and contributions of the indigenous communities that inhabited this land prior to the establishment of St. Norbert College, as well as the sovereign Native American Nations who continue to contribute to the flourishing of our communities.